A NIGHT AT NEVSKY


My first night out on the town was filled with hot espresso, giant christmas trees and winter royal palaces… not a bad way to start out my adventures in Saint Petersburg.

The Hermitage is a museum of art and culture and one of the largest and oldest museums in the world, founded in 1764 by Catherine the Great (Empress of Russia's Golden Age). It contains the largest collection of paintings in the world and includes the Winter Palace, a former residence of Russian Royalty, including my current object of study, the Grand Duchess Anastasia Nicolaevna Romanova.


The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood began construction in 1883 and was built on the very site where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated and was dedicated in his memory. This medieval, Russian church is by far the greatest tourist attraction in St. Petersburg, but on that dreary friday night, we had the whole place to ourselves… Just two girls and a palace that looks like it came out of Aladdin!

Once we had our fair share of numb faces, we walked along the Griboedov Canal to Nevsky to catch the metro back. I love the feeling of being able to go anywhere anytime without having to worry about a car or gas or traffic! Wherever my adorable shoes can take me, I'll go and there is definitely no shortage of adventures to be had in this city on the sea.    



No comments

Back to Top